Hijama (Wet Cupping)
Why Should We Do Hijama?
“Hijama is the most helpful procedure for human beings to cure themselves” (al-Bukhari 5357). This is the recommendation of prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him).
Benefits of Hijama
Hijama therapy has both short term and long term effects.
- Direct detoxification of blood through the skin, which is the largest body organ and as such it can clear toxins quickly and efficiently.
- Assists the removal of metabolic waste and stimulates tissue metabolism.
- Balances hormone excretion and function
- Supplies more oxygen and essential enzymes to local tissues and joints.
- Activates the lymphatic system.
- Improves blood and lymph flow to the corresponding organs; stimulates and strengthens their function.
- May reduce anxiety, stress and depression by releasing chemicals in the brain.
- Improves PH level off blood, as a result this relieves stagnation and congestion from inflamed areas.
- Increases red and white blood cell count.
- Reduces unwanted side effects of medication, removes residue and reduces risk of drug toxicity.
Hijama is excellent for many specific symptoms and health conditions such as:
Bones, muscles and nerve issues such as: general pains and aches, arthritis, frozen shoulder and sciatica – Hijama aids with pain management and mobility.
Auto immune diseases such as: fibromyalgia, MS and Lupus – Aids to balance immune system which can help stabalize and manage the condition better.
Skin problems such as: acne, eczema and psoriasis – By detoxifying the blood and improving organ function results in clearer skin.
Metabolic diseases, Organ and Gland function such as: diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, fatty liver and thyroid – Allows organs to function more effectively by aiding to stabilize the condition and/or ideally reverse the condition especially if borderline or recently diagnosed.
Female Health issues such as: irregular periods, period pains, endometriosis, PCOS and Fertility – By optimizing organ function improves quantity, quality and motility of the egg and sperm and aids to improve regular ovulation.
Headaches, Migraines and Sinus blockages – Blood circulation around the head and brain is increased therefore more oxygen travels to the brain, aiding to reduce and alleviate the pain.
How Often Should I have Hijama
We recommend having Hijama at least once a month (weekly or bi weekly in some cases) as will be discussed in your initial consultation with your therapist. Thereafter Hijama sessions can be spread out more as your health starts to improve.
After your treatment
After your session you will be given dates and juice to bring up your sugar levels and for hydration. We recommend our clients to stay warm, have a well balanced meal and keep hydrated after their treatment. You may feel temporarily tired or have a slight headache due to the strong detoxifying effects of the therapy. It is important to rest on the day of the therapy, not to overwork or do any heavy lifting.
There is a small chance that you may feel flu-ish after your treatment. This is one of the less common detox reactions in which the body raises its temperature in order to eliminate residual toxins that may have been present for a longer time. Therefore if you feel flu-ish please allow your body to go through this process naturally and remember to drink plenty, stay away from painkillers opting for fresh ginger, garlic and black seed oil instead.
Many clients feel an improvement in their condition after only one hijama session, however each person is different and it may take several cupping sessions before the full benefits are felt.
Rewards for Hijama
You will be rewarded for reviving a Sunnah and for investing in your health. The prophet (saw) said: “treat your sick with Sadaqah (charity)”. Paying the therapist is counted as a Sadaqah for the patient.